Saturday, August 8, 2009

Just like her Grandma(s)
















I took my first sewing class at Washington School in Missoula when I was in the 6th grade. During the class I sewed over my thumbnail and broke the needle off on the bone in my thumb. My home economics teacher actually passed out. I still loved sewing however and continued sewing my own clothes all through high school. I sewed most of my dresses and shirts to go with my beloved Levi 501 button fly jeans that I babysat to earn the $5.69 they cost.
I have owned many sewing machines. I used my mom's singerto sew until my mom and dad bought me a Pfaff when I was asenior in high school. That machine was so well built I think it would have sewn over rocks.

I have had a Pfaff, a White (that I won in a drawing),
a Juki, a Janomi Gem Gold (that I used in classes), a Janomi 4800, a Singer Featherweight, and 2 sergers. I sold my 2nd Pfaff & my Juki, gave my Janomi Gem and a serger to Jess, sold the other serger to Joan (who gave it to Carla) and I still have my Janomi 4800 and Singer Featherweight. I had given my original Pfaff to Angela and she just gave it back because she said she will never use it.



















Maia spent a lot of time with me as I would sew. When she was about 4 I would let her use a little antique Singer that she would sew long strips of fabric with for hours. Grandma Becky gave her a Bernina last year and she took a couple of classes. We were at the fabric store yesterday and Maia decided that she wanted to make a bag with the cute new Halloween Fabric they had. She also made a Halloween cape for her dog Duke.

No comments:

Post a Comment