Friday, December 31, 2010

Maui on my mind

We took a charter to Molokini to snorkel.

Eating pizza at the Lahaina Pizza Company

Our fave. We loved the Ono Kau Kau mixed plate - and ate there
quite a few times.






Cheeseburger in Paradise!


A great restaurant in Paia - on the Road to Hana


The Road to Hana has amazing scenery. Lots of waterfalls.






An old church made out of shells.





Another beautiful old church in Hana.










The bark on these trees looked like they were painted.














On the road to Hana















I have loved Rafael's painting ever since I saw one in a magazine. We met him and bought a small painting from him



We got up at 1:30am to catch a shuttle to the top of Haleakala - 10,023 feet to watch the sunrise and then bike down 27 miles. Sherry and I laughed the entire 27 miles. Ron thought it was a little like paying $120.00 to line dance at the rest home. What made us laugh so much was that we had to all follow the slowest rider. It happened to be a girl from New Jersey that was in Hawaii on her honeymoon. Don't think she had ever been on a bike and watching her was worth the entire experience. We only had to peddle a couple of times. The rest was downhill all the way. I was in trouble - from Jesse the guide - most of the trip because I didn't obey the "hands on the handlebars the entire time" rule. I was trying to snap pictures while riding and was all over the road.









The Silversword plant. The only place it grows in the world is here.





The sunrise. It was really beautiful.








Aloha Mixed Plate. Brandon told us about it and we loved it.


And of course...
...Ron snorkling.




























2 comments:

  1. Great! I was just getting over my pull to Maui and wanting to live there and now look...here we go again. It was so much fun - I want to go back!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would in a heartbeat. I was just laughing - thinking again about the bike trip. Seriously, we have so much fun on trips! What a beautiful place tho. Wish we could have spent another week there. We will just have to do it again.
    I did two posts and only got a fraction of my pictures on. It was quite a slow process. Happy New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete