Saturday, May 22, 2010

ACROPHOBIA!!!!!

"Angels Landing" is not a hike for anyone with a fear of heights. This is one of the most thrilling and unique hiking trails in any National Park. The trail to the top takes you along a narrow spine of a highly exposed rock formation. After a strenuous hike on a steep and winding path that in some places you have to pass other hikers with a 1000 foot drop off one side and another 1000 foot on the other side. Just before you reach "Scouts Lookout" you climb a series of 21 switchbacks that zigzag up to the lookout.



























I had a death grip on the fence before we even got to "Scouts Landing" - the stopping point for those who don't want to go the last 0.5 mile to the summit.






























Halfway up - hanging on to this chain as the only thing keeping me from falling - fear took over and although I was almost there, I couldn't force myself another step. the wind was gusting about 60-65 miles an hour.

















A view from the top. Look at that tiny little river and road. We took Hello Kitty with us because we knew she would be brave - and she was.










































Looking back up to where we had been.
























A wonderful dinner at "Oscars" and then "How to Train Your Dragon" at the Imax in 3D finished the great day.

6 comments:

  1. What a great day! And what beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you look on the blurry picture of the top you can see people up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, beautiful pictures!! Cassidy still talks about Ron's story about Angel's Landing and the "Iron Rod" - looks like you wouldn't want to let go. Beautiful but dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ho! had I had my day with my Warm Springs experience tied into the desert on a real high I would have floated to outer space and beyond. I am jealous - all I have been is stewing and hurting and wondering why some people do what they do - oh well - somehow on with life. Saundra and I would love to do that sometime!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No you wouldn't. I actually have not slept for 2 nights thinking about how easy it would be to slip and fall 1000 feet. I decided that "NO" member of my family is "EVER" going to climb it again. Maia has done it 3 times with her dad and I have already told Angela that she is not to do it again - now that I have been up there. There have been 6 people fall to their deaths in just the time we have lived here. 2 were actually pushed by their husbands - I actually think that the trail should be closed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are WAY braver than I would be.... just looking at the pictures makes me physically sick!

    ReplyDelete